like my friend @AkaDimiX, i enjoy the year end list of top whatevers. the only one i care about really are the top movies, so without further a du…
- Arrival – great story and visuals. i’ve seen a lot of sci-fi movies and this movie managed to give me something different.
- Hell or High Water – dubbed a modern western, i thought it hit all the marks of a western really well and transported me to that lifestyle for a moment in time.
- Rogue One – despite all the hype and an origin story i wasn’t all too thrilled about, the movie definitely delivers.
- The Accountant – the premise is a bit hokey but Ben Affleck gives a great performance that mixes in humor just at the right moments.
- Captain America: Civil War, Deadpool, Doctor Strange, Batman V. Superman – i’ll go ahead and lump all these movies together – fun and entertaining, but ultimately forgettable.
- Star Trek Beyond – even with my bias for all things Star Trek, this movie barely makes it on the list. still, it was fun seeing characters get to interact despite two previous movies where they didn’t.
- Eddie the Eagle – it’s my feel good movie of the year! starring my fav actor Hugh Jackman, it’s based on a true story and good for a light night in all the seriousness of the world.
biggest disappointments for me this year, and there are lots:
- X-Men Apocalypse
- Independence Day: Resurgence
- Sausage Party
- Green Room
honorable mentions, especially as rentals:
- Midnight Special
- Jungle Book
- The Nice Guys
movies i haven’t seen yet that may make it on this list:
- Manchester by the Sea
- La La Land
- Live By Night